Which passages are
significant in the book? Why? Quote the passage, give the page #, and explain
the importance.
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
"He signed me up for soccer teams to stir the same passion in me. But i was pathetic, a blundering liability to my own team, always in the way of an opportune pass or unwittingly blocking an open lane. I shambled about the field on scraggy legs, squalled for passes that never came my way and the harder I tried, waving my arms over my head frantically and screeching "I'm open! I'm open!" the more i went ignored. But Baba wouldn't give up.When it became abundantly clear that I hadn't inherited a shred of his athletic talents, he settled for trying to turn me into a passionate spectator. Certainly I could manage that, couldn't I? I faked interest for as long as possible. I cheered with him when Kabul's team scored against Kandahar and yelped insults at the refferee when he called penalties against our teambut Baba sensed my lack of genuine interest and resigned himself to the bleak fact that his never going to either play or watch soccer." (Hosseini p. 20)
This passage is important because it clearly describes the broken and strange relationship between Amir and his father. It describes his father to "resigne himself" to his son's behavior.
"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its ways out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years."(Hosseini 1) This passage foreshadows that the main character, Amir will undergo difficulties but he will learn to overcome them. By reading this first passage you can also infer that this will be a sad novel, therefore it is an important paragraph in the book.
"Assef was standing between the two of them now, grinnin, looming over both, his arms resting on their shoulders. He led them toward us, like he had brought them here. Like he was the parent, and they his children. A wave of dizziness rushed through me."(Hosseini p. 95) This passage foreshadows that Amir and Assef will meet again later in life but it will not be a pleasent meeting.
3 comments:
"He signed me up for soccer teams to stir the same passion in me. But i was pathetic, a blundering liability to my own team, always in the way of an opportune pass or unwittingly blocking an open lane. I shambled about the field on scraggy legs, squalled for passes that never came my way and the harder I tried, waving my arms over my head frantically and screeching "I'm open! I'm open!" the more i went ignored. But Baba wouldn't give up.When it became abundantly clear that I hadn't inherited a shred of his athletic talents, he settled for trying to turn me into a passionate spectator. Certainly I could manage that, couldn't I? I faked interest for as long as possible. I cheered with him when Kabul's team scored against Kandahar and yelped insults at the refferee when he called penalties against our teambut Baba sensed my lack of genuine interest and resigned himself to the bleak fact that his never going to either play or watch soccer." (Hosseini p. 20)
This passage is important because it clearly describes the broken and strange relationship between Amir and his father. It describes his father to "resigne himself" to his son's behavior.
"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its ways out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years."(Hosseini 1)
This passage foreshadows that the main character, Amir will undergo difficulties but he will learn to overcome them. By reading this first passage you can also infer that this will be a sad novel, therefore it is an important paragraph in the book.
"Assef was standing between the two of them now, grinnin, looming over both, his arms resting on their shoulders. He led them toward us, like he had brought them here. Like he was the parent, and they his children. A wave of dizziness rushed through me."(Hosseini p. 95)
This passage foreshadows that Amir and Assef will meet again later in life but it will not be a pleasent meeting.
Post a Comment